Acana | Puppy & Junior Heritage Formula Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
By nature, all puppies have evolved as carnivores, biologically adapted for a diet rich and varied in fresh meat with smaller amounts of vegetables and fruit.
The gray wolf is the ancestor to all dogs. While years of breeding have produced hundreds of “different-looking wolves,” the internal workings of modern dogs and their wolf cousins remain unchanged, so it’s no surprise that their dietary needs remain the same too.
Our award-winning Biologically Appropriate philosophy is simple: mirror the quantity, freshness, and variety of meat that dogs have evolved to eat, while limiting the long lists of synthetic ingredients that don’t belong in your dog’s natural diet.
Why We Love It
- RICH IN MEAT (60%) Your dog is biologically adapted for a diet rich in meat. That’s why we loaded ACANA Red Meat with 60% quality animal ingredients, including ranch-raised beef, Yorkshire pork, and grass-fed lamb, all sourced from regional farms.
- HIGH FRESH MEAT INCLUSIONS (1/2) Meat is in its most natural and nourishing form when it’s fresh. That’s why half of the meat in ACANA Red Meat is authentically fresh and loaded with goodness and taste, and the other half is dried to provide a strong and natural source of protein.
- A VARIETY OF MEATS (3) In nature, dogs benefit from an assortment of prey animals. That’s why ACANA features a diversity of fresh meat in richly nourishing WholePrey ratios of meat, organs, and cartilage or bone to mimic your dog’s natural diet and eliminate the need for long lists of synthetic additives.
- RICH IN MEAT PROTEIN. Entirely free of grains or gluten, ACANA derives its rich protein content from quality animal ingredients, not plants, supporting lean muscle mass and nourishing your dog according to his evolutionary needs.
- FRESH VEGETABLES & FRUIT. Your dog’s natural diet contains almost no carbs at all. That’s why ACANA features vegetables and fruit in limited quantities, meaning no extra, non-essential carbs to be stored as body fat. This helps maintain healthy blood-sugar levels, reduces the potential for fat storage, and promotes overall good health.
Deboned chicken, deboned turkey, chicken meal, turkey meal, whole green peas, whole red lentils, whole yellow peas, chicken fat, flounder, pollock oil, lentil fiber, cage-free eggs, chicken broth, whole chickpeas, whole green lentils, whole pinto beans, natural chicken flavor, chicken liver, chicken heart, chicken cartilage, chicken gizzard, salt, mixed tocopherols (preservative), dried kelp, whole pumpkin, collard greens, whole carrots, whole apples, zinc proteinate, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, freeze-dried chicken liver, freezedried turkey liver, copper proteinate, chicory root, turmeric, sarsaparilla root, althea root, rose hips, juniper berries, dried lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried bifidobacterium animalis fermentation product, dried lactobacillus casei fermentation product.
METABOLIZABLE ENERGY: 3575 kcal/kg (408 kcal per 8 oz. cup), with 30% from protein, 25% from carbohydrates, and 45% from fat.
- Crude protein (min.)31%
- Crude fat (min.)19%
- Crude fiber (max.)5%
- Moisture (max.)12%
- Dietary Starch (max.)23%
- Sugars (max.)2%
- DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) (min.)0.4%
- EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) (min.)0.2%
- Calcium (min.)1.2%
- Phosphorus (min.)1%
- Omega-3 fatty acids* (min.)1.3%
- Omega-6 fatty acids* (min.)2.3%
- Glucosamine* (min.)800mg/kg
- Total Microorganisms* (min)100 Million CFU/lb
- (Lactobacillus acidophilus Bifidobacterium animalis Lactobacillus casei)
- *Not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.